First of all congratulations!! If you have qualified the written examination and are searching tips on the ideal dress code for Interview.And even if you haven’t cleared and are just reading this post for future then we wish you all the best for the exam. Well, the way you present yourself plays a major role in deciding your performance at an interview.Your subjective knowledge has been already tested in the written exam so the interviewer is looking for what more you can offer the organization.
The way you knock on the door(if it’s closed), the way you enter, the way its walk towards the chair, the way you greet the interviewers and then sit on the chair-this approximately forms the 1st 5 minutes of your interview.Let me tell you 60% of your interview is over in these 5 minutes itself.Surprised?? But it’s the truth.Your appearance and how you present yourself give an impression of your personality on the interviewer and this forms the major part of your score.In these entire 5 minutes, the dress code is the most prominent feature that is visible to the interviewer.You may say that dress code for an interview is not so important but suppose you are the interviewer and two people come before you for an interview.One is dressed in a casual t shirt and ripped jeans while the other is dressed in well-fitted formal pants and dress shirt.Who will you choose?Of course the one in formal wear. So now as we have highlighted the importance of dress code for an interview, let us proceed to tell you what is the ideal dress code that you can follow for any Job interview.
Ideal dress code for the MALE candidate :
- As we have summers for the greater time of the year, wear a light color formal full-sleeve shirt with a dark color trouser.
- If it’s winters you can wear a formal two piece suit either plain or lightly patterned.Make sure your suit jacket matches your pants.
- Choose a suit in a subtle color in navy blue, dark gray or black.
- If you can’t wear a suit, do wear a full sleeve sweater over your shirt in winters.Avoid wearing a half-sleeve sweater as it does not come under formal wear.
- If you are going to interview for an officer level job, do try to wear a formal blazer.This is a tried and tested tip given by a friend who recently got selected for the prestigious IBPS exam.He said that the blazer made him feel more confident. Little things matter !!
- Wear a plain tie or a striped formal tie in colors like black, blue, gray and brown.These kind of ties are preferred by managers in all the top banks.
- Wear a dark color belt in black or brown.
- Wear formal shoes in black or brown.Do not wear sports shoes to an interview.
- Wear dark color mid-calf length socks so that no skin is visible while sitting.
- Have well-groomed hair and remove ear piercings if any.Wear a watch if you want.
Ideal dress code for FEMALE candidate
- Female interviewees must find out about the culture at the organization first, before deciding what to wear.
- They can wear light color formal shirts paired with a dark color trouser with blazer or sweater or salwar-kameez or a formal saree.
- Wear what you are most comfortable in.Don’t wear a saree if you cannot handle it.If wearing a salwar suit, wear a cotton one in a light shade.
- Make sure the suit or saree does not have embroidery or busy prints.
- Wear subtle makeup.Don’t wear bright shades of nail paint or lipstick.Stick to the basics- A thin line of kohl, light base and a clear gloss or neutral lipstick will do.Trim your nails and remove any chipped nail polish.Hair must be pulled back so that it doesn’t bother you during the interview.
- Trousers can be paired with formal wear shoes.If wearing a saree or salwar-suit you can pair it with flat or light heeled chappals or ballerinas.
- If you are carrying a bag, It must be in black or brown and not in bright poppy shades.
Concluding Note: There are many instances when a person came out of the interview and said he was able to answer all questions and his interview went well got 55 marks.While the other person’s interview went average still he got 80 marks. So dress code for an interview has a very important role to play in your selection.
Final Tip: Just smile confidently with a positive attitude and make your first impression your last impression !!
All the best !!
-written by Ankita