Welcome to NewSarkariJobs – Read Current Affairs from the most reliable source. Get all the latest and updated Current Affairs daily and prepare for preparation of IAS, UPSC, Banking, IBPS, Railways and much more only at www.newsarkarijobs.com
22 August 2017 Current Affairs
National sports awards 2017 announced
1. National Sports Awards are given every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four year, Arjuna Award is given for consistently outstanding performance for four years, Dronacharya Award for coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious International sports events, Dhyan Chand Award for life time contribution to sports development.
2. The Union Government announced the National Sports Awards. Para athlete Devendra and hockey player Sardar Singh will be honoured with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
Android Oreo released by Google
1. Google launched its version 8.0 of the operating system as Android Oreo.
2. The Oreo boasts of a two times faster boot speed, autofill option, and a longer battery life.
3. The new update comes with a Picture-in-Picture feature that allows the user to see two apps simultaneously.
Tata Power JV synchronizes 186 MW hydro project in Georgia
1. Tata Power its joint venture company Adjaristsqali Georgia LLC (AGL) synchronized 186 MW Shuakhevi Hydro Project in Georgia.
2. AGL is a Tata Power joint venture with Norway’s Clean Energy Invest AS Norway (Clean Energy) and IFC InfraVentures (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group.
3. It is is the largest hydro power plant to be built in Georgia over the past 50 years, and its investment cost exceeded USD 420 million.
ONGC board approves HPCL takeover of 51.11% stake
1. The board of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) given ‘in-principle’ approval to acquire government’s 51 (point) 11 percent stake in Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited.
2. They approved the sale of its 51.11 percent stake in oil refiner HPCL to India’s largest oil producer ONGC.
3. HPCL is a Government of India Enterprise with a Navratna Status, and a Forbes 2000 and Global Fortune 500 company.
Dinesh K Sarraf is the Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC).
FDI jumps 37% to $10.4 billion during April to June this year
1. The Foreign direct investment (FDI) into the country grew by 37 percent to USD 10.4 billion during the first quarter of the current financial year.
2. According to the figures of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), India had received USD 7.59 billion FDI during April-June 2016-17.
3. The main sectors which attracted the highest foreign inflows include services, telecom, trading, computer hardware and software and automobile.
Union Government to replace physical Police verification of Passport applicants with online verification within a year
1. Physical police verification for a passport will not be needed from next year as the Centre is planning to connect the procedure with the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems, CCTNS.
2. The CCTNS is expected to be linked with the passport service of the External Affairs Ministry allowing online police verification for passports within a year.
3. The Home Minister Rajnath Singh launching the Digital Police portal that integrates the country’s 15,398 police stations online and allows citizens to report crime and request antecedents verification online.
India’s football star Oinam bembem devi receives Arjuna award
1. Oinam Bembem Devi, the flagbearer of Indian women’s football for over the past two decades was named the winner of the prestigious Arjuna Award. Bembem becomes the second Indian woman footballer to win the award, the first being Shanti Mullick in 1983.
2. Bembem is the 25th Footballer to have won the Arjuna Award, the last being Subrata Paul in 2016. In addition, she was also awarded the AIFF Woman Footballer Award twice, in 2001 and 2013.
Swastha bache,swastha Bharat programmae launched
1. Union Minister for Human Resource Development (HRD) Prakash Javadekar launched the ‘Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat’ Programme in Kochi, Kerala.
2. Javadekar also launched the Health and Fitness Profile Card along with the programme. The programme is an initiative of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) to prepare a physical Health and Fitness Profile Card for more than 12 lakhs of Kendriya Vidyalaya students.