“Teaching is the one profession that creates all other professions.”
The 5th of September is celebrated as Teacher’s Day in India to mark the birth of former president and teacher Dr. S.Radhakrishnan as a tribute to the contribution made by teachers towards the society. On this day students all across India honor the teachers and gurus in their lives. Celebrations and programs are organized in schools to honor them and also the thankless job they do daily.
From the ancient times, teaching has been considered the noblest of professions. A teacher has always played the role of shaping a young child’s mind and induce many changes in the society. Teachers are a blessing because they use their intelligence, patience and wisdom to impart it to their students and they do all this selflessly.But In today’s competitive world, a child’s academic performance and his marks or percentage is the only criterion by which a teacher’s ability is judged.Earlier, teachers used to feel that they are shaping the future of the kids and are building a society with values and exceptional qualities.But with the increase in competition, Parents and school management just want results and if a child does not get 90% marks, the teacher is blamed.Parents want their kids to become only doctor and engineer due to which teachers of humanities subjects like History, Civics, Geography, Languages, etc. don’t even get the chance to shape young minds to think creatively and how you can make a career in any field you desire.
Earlier teachers were treated next to God but today teaching has become just a high-pressure job.The teacher is expected to give results and due to this, a person who truly loves imparting knowledge starts losing the zeal and enthusiasm to teach because of the monotonous schedule.The salaries offered in private schools are not up to the mark and the working hours are also hectic.
Anyways there is a lot of demand for teachers in the government of center and states.If you have a deep subject knowledge and you really want to make a career in teaching then there are many options available in different areas and at different levels-Nursery schools, middle schools, high schools, university and college level as well as special schools.
Teaching is a highly specialized field hence it requires a different level of training and set of skills.Skills, certifications, specialized courses and experience are pillars to being successful as a teacher and also earn well.
Eligibility Criteria For Teaching-
- First of all, you must be a 10+2 and graduate to teach.Then to enter schools you must have B.ed. which is a professional degree for teaching.
- Graduation in the concerned subject and b.ed. will enable you to be a trained graduate teacher.
- If you want to teach at the higher secondary level then you also need a post graduate degree in the subject.
- If you want to teach the Nursery and Kindergarten classes. You must have a nursery teacher training certificate.
- you can also opt for diploma courses like D.Ted (after 10+2) or BTC (basic training certificate).
- In case individual plans to be a games/physical fitness instructor, he/she will require obtaining a certificate/ degree or diploma from any one of the sports institutes located around the country.
- If you want to teach at the college or university level, you need to have a post graduation degree in the concerned subject then qualify the NET(National eligibility test) or SET(state eligibility test) in that subject. with this, you will become eligible for post of Assistant Professor or Junior research fellowship.
Hence as you can see there are ample opportunities to make a career in teaching and also earn well and also have stability in life.If you have the passion and drive to educate then there are innumerable opportunities available for you to do so.